Shifting from one place to another whether it is Delhi to Bangalore or within any city is not a fun chore. It consists of lots of hassles and some tedious tasks. But somehow the process of home shifting can be made a lot easier and simpler. Even if you have decided to use the services of professional packers and movers you will need to do some tasks on your own so that you can really enjoy the successful moving. Having a good checklist for moving will help you plan the shifting and streamline the process in the most efficient way; and of course it will save time, money and efforts. A good checklist will keep you and your move more organized. In general; maintaining a good moving checklist will definitely make your move easy and simple.
Here is the sample checklist of home moving
8 Weeks Before Your Move
- Start collecting moving quotes – this will help you select the right mover at affordable rates.
- Create moving budget – this will help you control the expenses
- Create a MOVING FILE – this will help you keep the track of estimates, receipts, and other important information.
- Inspect your new community where you want to shift.
- Select the furniture which you would like to move to your new residence.
- Transfer health, school, bank and medical records.
- Collect copies of the bank, financial and legal records and documents.
6 Weeks Before Your Move
- Purchase packing supplies and moving boxes well in advance.
- Arrange a garage sale to sell your old stuff or donate them to charity.
- Start using items like grocery items, eatables, frozen foods, ghee, oil, gas, etc.
- Inform the important persons such as your relatives and friends about your move.
5 Weeks Before Your Move
- Start some packing you if you can. Use good quality packing moving supplies.
- Begin packing items which you do not use frequently.
- Label the boxes clearly – it will help you unpack easily.
- Pinpoint your moving date
- Visit the new house – make it neat and clear.
- Arrange for the food, bathing, and bedding at your new house on the day of arrival.
- Change the address where it is necessary to do.
- Make the travel arrangements for you and your family members.
- Make the travel arrangements for your pets, if you have.
3 Weeks Before Your Move
- Start packing – use good quality packing supplies and sturdy boxes.
- Pack things on the room by room basis.
- Do not pack things which you do not use. (See — What not to pack on a move)
- Use bubble wrap to pack fragile and stuff the boxes with wadded papers.
- Label all the boxes properly and clearly.
- Pay the bills for milk, newspaper, or other utility bills.
Advice: It would be the best decision to hire professional packing service to ensure utmost safety of goods in transit.
1 Week Before Your Move
- Confirm the packers and movers about your preparation.
- Verify the to-do list.
- Check the home appliances & electronics such as TV, Refrigerator, Washing Machines, AC, etc.
- Empty and defrost your refrigerator at least 24 hours before.
- Use original boxes to pack appliances.
- Clean the house properly.
- Confirm travel arrangements for pets and family.
On Moving Day
- Make sure that all things are packed properly.
- Be present when things are loaded on the truck.
- Ensure that all items are loaded on the truck properly.
- Hand over the key to the landlord if you are on rented house.